Monday 2 February 2015

I'm not cheating, it's in the rules

Yep 4 weeks in and I missed a release already. SO……… I’ll have to do a double release next time.

Well back from Cancon and suffering the PTS or Post Tournament Stress. I really have no drive at the moment as I put everything into having my army ready for Cancon. So no minis to look at today. I do have one thing I wanted to rant / discuss though and it occurred during a tournament I played in.



I entered the Speed machine. It’s a fun little tourney that takes about 3 hours total as each round is only a 16 minute death clock, . Rules are you may only bring warcasters/warlocks and warjacks/warbeasts. The first round I played a Cryx player and I thought I was in with a chance. It was going great till his caster pulled his feat and out comes 6 banes knights who then charge my Mulg and kill it in that turn. I questioned weather that was legal as its only supposed to be warcaster/warbeast and not troops and he said that the rules state the army list has those restrictions but nothing was said about summoning troops after the game starts.

Not my minis
For those of you that know me you will probably guess my response to that. Comments like “Well you really know how to suck the fun out of what was suppose to be a fun tourney.” and “I hope you can live with yourself knowing you can only win by cheating.” may or may not have been said but this is not the first time I have experienced this type of attitude. We have a yearly retreat that has a Grande Melee Magic game. The winner picks the rules for next year to make it the fun little thing that it is. One year the winner said the rules will be no creatures in your deck. The first conversation I heard was how can we get around that rule by using token which don’t count as creatures.



So it brings me to the point I am trying to make. Is it better to play in the spirit of the rules, or to play by the rules and find a way to get around the rules. In my mind you should try to win in the spirit of the rules. So in the instance of the caster in question he would be banned or his feat would not be allowed and to use him would be cheating.(As an aside the guy won the tournament so maybe there is something in that). And in the magic example you would have to find a way in the spirit of the rules to win and not use tokens to get around the rules. (Tokens are summoned creatures that don’t count as creatures and don’t get me started on that)

Now I know plenty of people that will say that if the rules don’t state it then you can do it. But is that playing to the spirit of the games. We play a modified game of warmachine where it is only the warcasters and we make very specific rules to null out bringing followers and summoning extra creatures etc as we want to see caster vs caster and the extra bodies would make the game too skewed.

I have argued the point around and around and I know I will never convince those players who think that getting around the rules is a legal way to play and maybe I should just give in and play chess or checkers which is one of the few really balanced mini games. Anyway let me know what you think and happy gaming.


Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment